Out-of-State Legal Documents


Advocates in Aging| Law Office of Wiesner Smith

Posted on

Dec 10, 2021


Florida - Sarasota, Bradenton & Charlotte Counties

Share This
I am often asked the following question from individuals who recently moved (or are planning to move) to Florida: Do I need to update my out-of-state estate planning documents when I move to Florida?
I recommend that new Floridians have their out-of-state documents reviewed by a Florida attorney. Often, the key issue to address is not whether the clients documents are valid in Florida (they often are), but rather the administrative problems they likely will encounter in attempting to use out-of-state documents in the State of Florida.

Advance Directive for Health Care

For example, if a client provides an out-of-state advance directive (including the designation of a health care surrogate and living will) to a health care facility, Florida law considers that document valid in Florida so long as it was validly executed with the law of that state or Florida law. But that assessment could require knowledge of out-of-state law, which the health care facility may not want to deal with and simply refuse to honor the document. Why take that risk?
Another issue, which I will discuss in a later article is that the Florida Legislature adopted significant revisions to the Health Care Surrogates Act in 2015, so older out-of-state advance directives may be limiting to the client.

Durable Power of Attorney (for Finances)

Another issue I encounter with my clients who have moved to Florida from out of state is the refusal of local banks and financial institutions to honor out-of-state powers of attorney. Like out-of-state advance directives, out-of-state powers of attorney are valid in Florida so long as they were validly executed according to that states law or Florida law. Banks can rely upon an opinion of counsel to determine if the out-of-state document was validly executed with that states law, but are allowed to charge the principal (i.e., my client) for that. In addition, some banks may simply refuse to honor out-of-state documents. Again, why take that risk?
Significant changes to Florida law regarding powers of attorney were implemented in 2011, so it is recommended to have older documents reviewed by a Florida attorney as well. I will discuss this in more detail in a later article as well.

Last Will & Testament

While a persons Last Will and Testament does not take effect until death, it is important to not leave your loved ones with an additional burden. An out-of-state Will is valid in Florida so long as it is valid in the state where the Will was executed. However, probate administration may prove more difficult with an out-of-state Will. For example, out-of-state counsel may need to be consulted and/or retained after death to assist with administration if there is an issue with the self-proving provisions in the out-of-state will. This is an unnecessary additional expense that can be avoided by simply Floridizing your out-of-state Will (i.e., executing a codicil to bring the will in compliance with Florida law).
Further, if a person is a Florida resident and/or owns property in the State of Florida, it is important to discuss planning with respect to the homestead protections afforded by the Florida Constitution with a Florida attorney.

Revocable Living Trust

If have a Revocable Living Trust that was executed out of state and intend to remain in Florida, it is recommended to have a Florida attorney review your trust instrument (the document). Florida law provides that the law of the state designated in the trust document controls provided there is a sufficient nexus to that state at the time of creation (for example, the settlors/trustees were living in that state). However, banks and financial institutions in Florida may be hesitant to work with out-of-state documents, and trust administration could be difficult. In addition, the same authority, benefits, and protections that the Florida Trust Code provides may not exist in the out-of-state trust document.


It is recommended to have a Florida attorney review your out-of-state legal documents if you intend to become a Florida resident or remain in Florida for an extended period of time (including you, snowbirds!). Advocates in Aging, Law Office of Ira S. Wiesner offers a free 30-minute consultation by calling (941) 242-7270 or contact us here!

Other Articles You May Like

Time for tax-loss harvesting?

As you know, the gig economy has been booming over the past several years. If youre thinking of using your skills to take on a side gig, what should you do with the money youll make?Theres no one right answer for everyone, and the decisions you make should be based on your individual situation. And of course, you may simply need the extra income to support your lifestyle and pay the bills. But if you already have your cash flow in good shape, and you have some freedom with your gig money, consider these suggestions: Contribute more to your IRA. If you couldnt afford to contribute the maximum amount to your IRA, you may find it easier to do so when you have additional money coming in from a side gig. For the 2023 tax year, you can put in up to $6,500 to a traditional or Roth IRA, or $7,500 if youre 50 or older. (Starting in 2024, this extra $1,000 catch-up contribution amount may be indexed for inflation.) The amount you can contribute to a Roth IRA is reduced, and eventually eliminated, at certain income levels. Look for new investment opportunities. If youre already maxing out your IRA, you might be able to find other investment possibilities for your side gig money. For example, if you have young children, perhaps you could use some of the money to invest in a 529 education savings plan. A 529 plan offers potential tax advantages and can be used for college, qualified trade school programs, and possibly some K-12 expenses. Please keep in mind that potential tax advantages will vary from state to state. Build an emergency fund. Life is full of unexpected events and some can be quite expensive. What if you needed a major car repair or required a medical procedure that wasnt totally covered by your health insurance? Would you have the cash available to pay these bills? If not, would you be forced to dip into your IRA or 401(k)? This might not be a good move, as it could incur taxes and penalties, and deprive you of resources you might eventually need for retirement. Thats why you might want to use your gig earnings to help fund an emergency fund containing several months worth of living expenses, with the money kept in a liquid, low-risk account. To avoid being tempted to dip into your emergency fund, you may want to keep it separate from your daily spending accounts.   Pay down debts. Most of us will always carry some debts, but we can usually find ways to include the bigger ones mortgage, car payments and so on into our monthly budgets. Its often the smaller debt payments, frequently associated with high-interest-rate credit cards, that cause us the most trouble, in terms of affecting our cash flow. If you can use some of your side gig money to pay down these types of debts, you could possibly ease some of the financial stress you might be feeling. And instead of directing money to pay for things you purchased in the past, you could use the funds to invest for your future.As weve seen, your side gig money could open several promising windows of opportunity so take a look through all of them. Chad Choate III, AAMS828 3rd Avenue WestBradenton, FL  34205941-462-2445chad.chaote@edwardjones.com This article was written by Edward Jones for use by your local Edward Jones Financial Advisor. Edward Jones, Member SIPC

Time for tax-loss harvesting?

Its been a bumpy year for the financial markets which means that some of your investments may have underperformed or lost value. Can you use these losses to your advantage?Its possible. If you have some investments that have lost value, you could sell them to offset taxable capital gains from other investments. If your losses exceed gains for the year, you could use the remaining losses to offset up to $3,000 of ordinary income. And any amount over $3,000 can be carried forward to offset gains in future years. This tax-loss harvesting can be advantageous if you plan to sell investments that youve held in taxable accounts for years and that have grown significantly in value. And you might receive some gains even if you take no action yourself. For example, when you own mutual funds, the fund manager can decide to sell stocks or other investments within the funds portfolio and then pay you a portion of the proceeds. These payments, known as capital gains distributions, are taxable to you whether you take them as cash or reinvest them back into the fund. Still, despite the possible tax benefits of selling investments whose price has fallen, you need to consider carefully whether such a move is in your best interest. If an investment has a clear place in your holdings, and it offers good business fundamentals and favorable prospects, you might not want to sell it just because its value has dropped. On the other hand, if the investments youre thinking of selling are quite similar to others you own, it might make sense to sell, take the tax loss and then use the proceeds of the sale to purchase new investments that can help fill any gaps in your portfolio. If you do sell an investment and reinvest the funds, youll want to be sure your new investment is different in nature from the one you sold. Otherwise, you could risk triggering the wash sale rule, which states that if you sell an investment at a loss and buy the same or a substantially identical investment within 30 days before or after the sale, the loss is generally disallowed for income tax purposes.Heres one more point to keep in mind about tax-loss harvesting: Youll need to take into account just how long youve held the investments youre considering selling. Thats because long-term losses are first applied against long-term gains, while short-term losses are first applied against short-term gains. (Long-term is defined as more than a year; short-term is one year or less.) If you have excess losses in one category, you can then apply them to gains of either type. Long-term capital gains are taxed at 0%, 15% or 20%, depending on your income, while short-term gains are taxed at your ordinary income tax rate. So, from a tax perspective, taking short-term losses could provide greater benefits if your tax rate is higher than the highest capital gains rate.Youll want to contact your tax advisor to determine whether tax-loss harvesting is appropriate for your situation  and youll need to do it soon because the deadline is Dec. 31. But whether you pursue this technique this year or not, you may want to keep it in mind for the future because youll always have investment tax issues to consider.   Chad Choate III, AAMS828 3rd Avenue WestBradenton, FL  34205941-462-2445chad.chaote@edwardjones.com  This article was written by Edward Jones for use by your local Edward Jones Financial Advisor.Edward Jones, Member SIPC

Do your investments match your goals?

As you go through life, youll have various financial goals and to achieve them, youll need to invest. But just recognizing the need to invest is not as useful as matching specific types of accounts or investments with specific goals. How can you make these connections?Lets look at some common goals and how they could possibly be met with appropriate accounts and investments: Saving for a down payment on a house  When youre saving for a down payment, you want a certain amount of money available at a certain time so, for this goal, you wont want to take too much risk. Consequently, you might consider investing in certificates of deposit (CDs), which will pay you regular interest payments and return your principal when the CDs mature. CDs are issued in a range of maturities, from one month to 10 years. Other vehicles you might consider are money market accounts or other cash equivalents.   Saving for a childs education  If you have children, and youd like to help them pay for some form of higher education, you may want to consider a 529 education savings plan. Any earnings growth in a 529 plan is federally tax free, provided the withdrawals are used for qualified education expenses, and you may also receive state tax benefits. A 529 plan can be used for college, approved trade school programs, student loan repayments and some K-12 costs. And if the child youve named as a beneficiary chooses not to continue their education, and doesnt need the money in a 529 plan, you can generally switch beneficiaries to another immediate family member.  Saving for retirement  This is the one goal that will remain consistent throughout your working years  after all, you could spend two or even three decades in retirement, so youll need to accumulate as many financial resources as you can to pay for those years. Fortunately, you likely have access to several good retirement-savings vehicles. If you work for a business, you might have a 401(k) plan, which offers you the chance to put away money on a tax-deferred basis. (If you have a Roth option in your 401(k), your withdrawals can be tax free, although, unlike a traditional 401(k), your contributions wont lower your taxable income.) If you work for a public school or a nonprofit organization, you may be able to participate in a 403(b) plan, which is quite similar to a 401(k), and the same is true if you work for a state or local government, where you might have a 457(b) plan. And even if you invest in any of these plans, you can probably also contribute to an IRA, which gives you another chance to invest on a tax-deferred basis (or tax-free basis, if youre eligible for a Roth IRA). Try to take full advantage of whatever retirement plans are available to you.Here's one final point to keep in mind: While some investments and accounts are appropriate for certain goals, they may not necessarily be suitable for your individual situation  so keep all your options in mind and take the steps that are right for you.  Chad Choate III, AAMS828 3rd Avenue WestBradenton, FL  34205941-462-2445chad.chaote@edwardjones.com This article was written by Edward Jones for use by your local Edward Jones Financial Advisor. Edward Jones, Member SIPC