Overcoming Your Fear of Probate


Jolene L. DeVries, Attorney

Posted on

Feb 24, 2018


Colorado - Southern Colorado

Share This
Just the mention of the word sends chills down many Americans backs. But is it really that bad? We in Colorado are fortunate that our laws allow us to choose how to proceed into probate (which is the process of winding up the affairs of a decedent by paying creditors and distributing assets and property). The two choices are informal probate or formal probate.
Informal probate means that the estate is not court-supervised. Administration of the estate begins by filing a number of probate forms with the District Court, having the Court admit the estate into probate and appointing a personal representative (formally known as an executor or executrix) to begin the process of paying bills, taxes, selling property and/or distributing the decedents assets pursuant to the decedents Will or by the intestacy statutes if the person died without a Will. An informal probate can be wrapped up after six months, but most estate matters take up to a year or more.
Formal probate, sometimes referred to as supervised administration, occurs rarely, but is sometimes necessary when a dispute exists between those people interested in the decedents estate. In this case, the Court conducts hearings periodically regarding the distribution of the estate and other matters that arise during the administration process. A formal probate can last years and is often very costly.
The good news is that 90% of all estates in Colorado are not supervised, thus there are less costs and attorney fees associated with an informal probate. Because Colorado has adopted what is known as the Uniform Probate Code, probate matters have been greatly simplified, thus, reducing the fear of probate that many of us exhibit today.
So, does every estate need to go through the probate process? Not necessarily. For example, if an individual passes away with personal property and bank account assets (not real property) that are valued less than $66,000.00 a small estate affidavit can be used to transfer the property. Also, some property may just pass to another by operation of law, i.e. joint tenancy with right of survivorship, beneficiary designations on life insurance policies and IRAs, payable on death accounts (PODs), transferable on death accounts (TODs), and trusts. However, beware of transferring property or setting up a trust just to avoid probate. There could be significant tax implications and other unnecessary costs by transferring property without the advice of an attorney or accountant. Remember, probate should not be feared. Consult with your attorney on how probate can affect your estate.

Editors Note: This article was submitted by Jolene L. Devries, Elder Law Attorney. She can be reached at 719-275-4424

Other Articles You May Like

The Risks Of An Adult Child Getting An Advance On Their Inheritance

As we grow older, our desire to support our children often intensifies. A trend that is becoming more prevalent is parents choosing to give their adult children an advance on their inheritance while they are still alive. Essentially, this means gifting a sum of money to the child during the parents lifetime and including in their estate planning documents that if the gift is not repaid, it will be considered an advance, affecting the childs share of the estate. While there are several concerns I have with this approach, two major ones stand out: the potential impact on Medicaid eligibility due to the gift being considered, and the risk of unequal distribution of assets among the children. One significant issue arises if the parent requires long-term care. Medicaid, the government program that assists with long-term care costs, imposes a five-year look-back period to assess any gifts made during that time. If a gift is identified, a penalty is calculated, which could prevent the person from qualifying for Medicaid until the penalty period is served. Providing an advance during your lifetime is indeed considered a gift and may significantly affect your eligibility for long-term care assistance. Additionally, we cannot predict the financial demands that may arise toward the end of our lives, especially when it comes to potential long-term care needs. Giving away money during your lifetime with the expectation that everything will be equalized may be risky, as theres no guarantee of how much money will be left in your estate. For instance, if an advance of $300,000 is given to one child, deemed an advance, and after paying debts, funeral expenses, and legal bills, there is insufficient remaining to reimburse the other children, an unfair situation arises. As a general rule, we advise against providing advances during your lifetime. While there may be specific exceptions based on individual circumstances, seeking counsel before making such decisions is crucial. Without professional guidance, we do not recommend this course of action. Join our free educational workshop to delve deeper into estate planning and inheritance strategies. By attending, youll gain valuable insights to make informed decisions about your assets and your familys future. Reserve your spot now!  

My Spouse Has Been Diagnosed with Dementia. Are We Going To Lose Everything?

Has your spouse been diagnosed with dementia? You may wonder if you're at risk of losing everything, but the short answer is no. However, it's crucial to take the time to gather resources and learn about the diagnosis. Seek advice from healthcare professionals, organizations like the Alzheimer's Association, and other experts who can provide guidance. Once you feel comfortable with this information, it's wise to consult an elder law attorney to understand asset protection and the differences between care in assisted living facilities and long-term care facilities, as this can significantly impact how you'll pay for care. Planning for dementia can be challenging due to the variable progression of the disease. Some individuals may experience a slow decline while others deteriorate rapidly, and in certain cases, the journey could span 15 to 20 years or even longer. It's essential to seek advice early and regularly, allowing you to create a comprehensive plan and maintain a sense of control over the situation. In our office, our elder care coordinator, Meg Motter, assists families in developing a life care plan. This plan provides detailed instructions from start to finish and is continually adjusted as needed. It serves as a lifeline, empowering our clients' families to feel in control of the situation rather than being controlled by it.Considering the high costs of care, it's essential not to leave things to chance. Take action now and consult an estate planning and elder law attorney if you find yourself in this situation.To further support and equip you with valuable information, we invite you to register for our free educational workshop. Join us and gain valuable insights into dealing with dementia and securing your family's future. Don't miss out on this opportunity secure your spot today!

Why Choose a Place at Home Pueblo?

A Place At Home Pueblo (APAHP) is committed to offering compassionate care tailored to meet the individual needs of seniors. We believe in providing care that allows seniors to remain in their homes comfortably and safely.1.         Experienced Ownership: With 40 years of experience in senior care, the owner understands the unique needs of seniors and is committed to delivering exceptional care.2.         Comprehensive Services: From personal care to household tasks and medical support, we offer a wide range of services catered to the diverse needs of our clients.3.         Qualified Staff: APAHP hires certified and trained professionals who provide non-skilled senior care with compassion and professionalism.4.         Flexibility: Whether seniors need assistance for a few hours a day or require 24/7 care, APAHP offers flexible care plans to accommodate varying needs.APAHP is a trustworthy and reliable home care agency dedicated to supporting seniors in maintaining their independence and quality of life. If you or your loved ones are seeking non-skilled senior care services in Pueblo and Fremont counties, APAHP is an excellent choice.  Submitted by Bambi Creek, owner of A Place at Home. She may be reached at 719-561-1111 or by email at bambi.creek@aplaceathome.com

Local Services By This Author

Jolene L. DeVries, Attorney

Probate 832 Macon Avenue, Canon City, Colorado, 81212

Jolene L. DeVries, Attorney

Elder Law 832 Macon Avenue, Canon City, Colorado, 81212